Alex is a practicing Physiotherapist and qualified Pilates instructor who has made it her mission to empower others in their journey of understanding their bodies through education and movement with a very clear and honest approach.
A self proclaimed human physiology nerd who has recently settled back in Perth, Western Australia from stints working in Melbourne and Kuwait to open her own practice and studio in Bibra Lake, WA, inside of the Athlete X complex.
Here she helps an array of clients through their different goals however she has been running along with a particular passion and that’s educating and empowering people around pain.
Find Alex via:
It shouldn’t be seen as a four letter word.
What is Pain? Is it a signal? Is it a sensory response? Is it an emotional experience? Does it mean that we are always causing damage?
In this episode Physiotherapist, Pilates instructor and pain advocate Alex O’neil-King and myself have an in-depth conversation on what pain is how it can be perceived and its common misconceptions. And when treating/ addressing pain itself are we missing some vital points?
Alex’s take home tips when addressing pain
- Set tangible positive goals
A great way to measure your success through the journey of addressing the end goal which for most will be to be out of pain. And celebrating the small wins along the way to reassure your yourself that you are doing something positive for your body.
- Accept that the road to recovery won’t be linear
Having a set back or “flare” is normal and docent always mean that we have done something wrong or back to square one and that we can still move forward from there.
Links of Interest
Ep. 029 – The power of paying it forward – Not so regular Joe interview w/ James Beck – The Let me take a Selfie Podcast
- Ep. 029 – The power of paying it forward – Not so regular Joe interview w/ James Beck
- Ep. 028 – Bloody great cycles – understanding the menstrual cycle w/ Dr Tara Neyland
- Ep. 027 – Mindful practice – from movement through to living w/ Robert Bill Jr
- Ep. 026 – Lessons I‘ve learnt in the last year w/ Ben Rashleigh
- Ep. 025 – Living from your heart w/ Michelle Sheldon