Through out the week you can usually find Ben teaching his Pilates studio clients at Aligned for Life Pilates – Melbourne.
Ben truly believes that every single person deserves a chance at living their best life just like he had the opportunity to do so in 2012, which has led him to help people to participate fully in their own live through the Pilates Method as well as movement education in the corporate space and of course hosting the Let Me Take A Selfie Podcast.
Find Ben via:
Why is bone heart so important?
Humankind is entering a new demographic era. At the start of the next decade, globally, for every 100 people aged 15-64 years there will be 14.4 people aged 65 years or over. The United Nations projects that this so-called “old-age” dependency ratio will increase dramatically throughout the 21st Century. By 2030, the global ratio is projected to be 18 seniors per 100 “workers”, which is set to increase to 25.2 per 100 and 37.6 per 100 by 2050 and 2100, respectively. The current global population of 7.7 billion is projected to grow to 8.5 billion, 9.7 billion and 10.9 billion by 2030, 2050 and 2100, respectively. The impact of such a rapid shift in the age structure of our global society has enormous implications for how we manage national economies and healthcare systems.
Our bones support us and allow us to move. They protect our brain, heart, and other organs from injury. Our bones also store minerals such as calcium and phosphorous, which help keep our bones strong, and release them into the body when we need them for other uses. So keeping our bones strong and healthy not only prevent fractures but also positively effect our bodies constant action for homeostasis.
Join us as we look into the research and their recommendations on how to stimulate bone growth for the general population and the osteoporotic.
Articles of interest
- Australian institute of health and welfare. Retrieved 14 July 2021 from https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports/chronic-musculoskeletal-conditions/osteoporosis/contents/what-is-osteoporosis
- International Osteoporosis Foundation ‘Treatment’ retrieved 14 July 2021 from https://www.osteoporosis.foundation/patients/treatment
- International Osteoporosis Foundation ‘Impact of Osteoporosis’, retrieved 13 July 2021 from https://www.osteoporosis.foundation/sites/iofbonehealth/files/2019-06/2017_DontLetOsteoporosisFractureYourFuture_Infographic_English.pdf
- Healthy bones Australia ‘Breaking a bone and bone health’ Retrieved 13 July 2021 from https://healthybonesaustralia.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/HBA-Fact-Sheet-Breaking-A-Bone-1.pdf
- S. Boonen, D. Vanderschueren, P. Haentjens & P. Lips, 2006,Calcium and vitamin D in the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis – a clinical update, Journal of Internal Medicine, pp.539 -552
- R. Prince, M.Smith, I. Dick, R. Price, P. Webb, K. Henderson, M. Harris, 1991, Prevention of Postmenopausal Osteoporosis — A Comparative Study of Exercise, Calcium Supplementation, and Hormone-Replacement Therapy, N Eng J Med, pp. 1189-1195
- Osteoporosis international ‘Effects of exercise on bone mineral density in calcium-replete postmenopausal women with and without hormone replacement therapy’ retreived 15 March 2019 from https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00198-003-1436-x
8. T. Sozen, L. Ozisk, N. Basaran, 2017, An overview and management of osteoporosis, European journal of rheumatology, pp46 -56, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5335887/
9. M. O’Brien, (2001), Exercise and osteoporosis, Irish Journal of Medical Science, pp 58-62
10. J. Block, A. Friedlander, G. Brooks, (1989), Determinants of bone density amond atheletes engaged in weight bearing and non weight bearing activities, Journal of Applied Physioligy, pp 1100 – 1105
11. J. Block, R. Smith, D. Black, B. Ettinger, H. Genant, (1987), Does exercise prevent osteoporosis?, Journal of American Medical Association, pp 3115-3117
12. C. Turner, A. Robling, (2003), Designing exercise regimes to increase bone strength, Exercise and Sport Sciences Reveiws, American Collage of Sports Medicine, pp 45-50
13. P. Fehling, L. Alekel, J. Casey, A. Rector, R. Stillman, (1995), A comparison of bone mineral densities amond female atheletes in impact loading and active loading sports.
14. C. Rubin, L. Lanyon,(1984), Regulation of bone fonrmation by applied dynamic loads, Journal of bone and joint surgery, pp 397-402
15. K. Yeager, R. Agostini, A. Nattiv, B. Drinkwater, (1993), The female athelete triad; Disordered eating, amenorrhea osteoporossis.
16. R. Nikander, H. Sievanen, A. Heinonen , P.Kannus (2005) Femoral neck structure in adult female athletes subjected to different loading modalities, J Bone Miner, pp 520–528
17. L. Micklesfield, J. Gray, M. Tailep, (2012), Bone mineral density and body composition of South African cricketers, Journal of bone mineral metabolism, pp 232 – 237
18. B. Beck, R. Daily, M. Singh, D. Taaffe. (2016) Exercise and Sports Science Australia (ESSA) position statement on exercise prescription for the prevention and management of osteoporosis, Journal of science and medicine in sport, pp 438-445
19. M. Sinaki, M. Pfeifer, E. Preisinger, E. Itoi, R. Rizzoli, S. Boonen, P. Geusens, H. Minnen(2010) The Role of Exercise in the treatment of osteoporosis
20. M. Sinaki, B. Mikkelsen (1984), Postmenopausal spinal osteoporosis: Flexion versus extension exercises, Arch Phys Med Rhabil, Vol 65, pp593-596
21. M. Sinaki, H., Wahner, K. Offord, S. Hodgson, (1989) Efficiency of Non loading exercises in prevention of vertebral bone loss in post menopausal women: a controlled trial. Mayo Clin Proc, pp762-769
22. E. Smith, A. Boser, (2013), ‘Yoga, Vertebral fractures and Osteoporosis: Research and Recommendations, Int. J. of Yoga Therapy, pp. 17-23
23. L. Teixeria, K. Silva, (2009) Progressive load training for the quadriceps muscle associated with proprioception exercises for the prevention of falls in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis: a randomized controlled trail, Osteoporosis Int, pp 589-596
24. W. Hsu, C. Chen, J, Tsauo, R, Yang, (2014), Balance and control in elderly people with Osteoporosis, Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, pp. 334-339
25. W. Hsu, C. Chen, J, Tsauo, R, Yang, (2014), Balance and control in elderly people with Osteoporosis, Journal of the Formosan Medical Association, pp. 334-339
26. Minne H, IOF Committee. (2005), Invest in your Bones. Move it or Lose it: How exercise helps to build and maintain strong bones, prevent falls and fractures, and speed rehabilitation. Internaional Osteoporosis Foundation pp. 2 –
27. Tortora G & Grabowski S, (2003), ‘The Skeletal System’ in Principals of Anatomy & Physiology, eds B. Roesch, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. USA, pp. 164 -174
28. International osteoporosis foundation ‘IOF compendium of osteoporosis’ retrieved July 18th 2021, https://www.osteoporosis.foundation/sites/iofbonehealth/files/2020-01/IOF-Compendium-of-Osteoporosis-web-V02.pdf
29. International osteoporosis foundation ‘Fragility fractures – epidemiology’ retrieved July 18 2021, https://www.osteoporosis.foundation/health-professionals/fragility-fractures/epidemiology
30. S. Watson, B. Weeks, L. Weis, A. Harding, (2017), High-Intensity Resistance and Impact Training Improves Bone Mineral Density and Physical Function in Postmenopausal Women With Osteopenia and Osteoporosis: The LIFTMOR Randomized Controlled Trial, Journal of bone and mineral research, pp211 -220
31. Mosti, Mats P., Kaehler, Nils, Stunes, Astrid K., Hoff, Jan, Syversen, Unni, (2013), Maximal Strength Training in Postmenopausal Women With Osteoporosis or Osteopenia, Journal of strength and conditioning research, pp2879-2886
32. H Nguyen, (2017), Osteoporosis prevention and osteoporosis exercise in community-based public health programs, Osteoporosis and Sarcopenia, pp 18-31
33. The relationship between body composition measured by Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry (DEXA) and maximal strength in classic powerlifting (2019), retrieved 18 July 2021, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/336923848_The_relationship_between_body_composition_measured_by_Dual-Energy_X-ray_Absorptiometry_DEXA_and_maximal_strength_in_classic_powerlifting
Ep. 033 – The power of taking a pause w/ Alexis Guttridge – The Let me take a Selfie Podcast
- Ep. 033 – The power of taking a pause w/ Alexis Guttridge
- Ep. 032 – The Wim Hof Method – Managing your stress and health
- Ep. 031 – Navigating your nutrition during the festive season w/ Clare Choveaux
- Ep. 030 – Managing your time w/ Nicole Smith
- Ep. 029 – The power of paying it forward – Not so regular Joe interview w/ James Beck